About the Organisation
Lighthouse Relief Hellas is the Greek registered branch of the Swedish NGO Lighthouse Relief. Our teams of skilled, international staff and volunteers provide emergency relief to refugees that arrive on the Greek island of Lesvos, and services in Ritsona refugee camp in mainland Greece. Our branch ECO Relief on Lesvos focuses on restoring the shoreline on Lesvos and other local projects to support the island. Our ambition is to find a response that simultaneously improves the conditions for both refugees and local actors.
Lighthouse Relief Hellas undertakes all the activities of Lighthouse Relief in Greece: programming, humanitarian response, advocacy and fundraising. As the national branch of an international NGO, Lighthouse Relief Hellas is present every day on the field in Greece, but also plays a strategic and important role in campaigns and advocacy for our beneficiaries internationally.
We strive to have our team grow with more national staff and we encourage Greek applicants for all positions.
Contract: Minimum 3 months with a possibility to extend. Start date TBD (likely early November)
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Lighthouse Relief seeks a Communications Officer to support its humanitarian operations. The Communications Officer will be based in Greece and report directly to the Head of Communications and work in a team with videographers, photographers and communications volunteers to leverage stories from the front lines of Lighthouse Relief's operations. The length of the position is for a minimum of three months, with the possibility to extend. This is a volunteer position, but some support is provided for accommodation and living expenses.
Head of Communications & Strategic Partnerships
Managing Lighthouse Relief's social media channels, blog and website - both generating original stories and content, as well as managing the communications volunteers in our different locations
Designing and implementing advocacy and communications campaigns tied to key humanitarian and global development milestones, including strategy development, fundraising and ambassador outreach
Managing press and media relations on the field and in the office, including leading press visits, preparing briefing materials and advancing ethical reportage of the European refugee situation
Enhancing awareness of media rights in Ritsona refugee camp by holding workshops and preparing informational flyers
Conducting interviews with beneficiaries and local community members in Lesvos to amplify their stories and voices
- Fluency in English (Arabic or Kurdish is an asset)
- 2-5 years of experience working within a communications environment (e.g., for an NGO, communications agency, PR group, media outlet or corporation)
- Degree in Communications, Journalism, International Development, Humanitarian Assistance preferred
- Experience in dealing with press and media
- Experience with developing and executing advocacy and communications campaigns using digital and traditional media
- Ability to produce informative and engaging written material for social media, blogs, news articles, fact sheets, etc.
- Familiarity with graphic design and visual storytelling, including experience with Adobe InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator and/or Canva
- Good knowledge of social media and Squrespace web management
- Good project management skills and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Positive personality and willingness to work in a demanding and fast-paced working environment
Please send a cover letter and CV in English to email@example.com and write “Communications Officer” in the subject line. Please be sure to mention the date you would be available to start. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
Female Friendly Space (FFS) Manager
Contract: Minimum 3 months with possibility to extend.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Female Friendly Space (FFS) Manager will coordinate all aspects of Lighthouse Relief’s (LHR’s) FFS by developing psychosocial support (PSS) activities for women and adolescent girls and undertaking comprehensive community outreach in Ritsona refugee camp. The FFS Manager will work closely with FFS Interns and Volunteers to develop Information Education and Communication (IEC) sessions on stress management, professional development, education, culture, etc. This role entails managing FFS volunteers and empowering them to work as a cohesive team to create a safe healing environment for all women and adolescent girls in the camp.
- Provide dynamic leadership to a team of volunteers by leading through example, giving clear directions and cultivating their strengths and sense of empowerment.
- Provide hands-on training and ongoing guidance to FFS volunteers
- Develop culturally appropriate, context-specific PSS activities and expand on current activities for women and adolescent girls with the input of FFS volunteers.
- Develop Information Education and Communication (IEC) sessions on stress management, professional development, education, culture, etc. in the FFS and lead the sessions with the facilitation of the FFS team.
- Develop community outreach strategies and undertake community outreach with the support of the FFS team
- Manage the FFS volunteer schedule.
- Develop a monthly budget, procure all FFS activity materials and maintain weekly FFS bookkeeping.
- Ensure that you and the FFS volunteers adhere to camp safety standards and LHR Code of Conduct at all times.
- Lead weekly team debriefings to discuss successes, challenges and strategic planning.
- Undertake Monitoring and Evaluation, Reporting and strategic planning of the FFS program.
- Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Human Rights, Women’s Studies, International Relations, or a related field
- Experience working with vulnerable women and adolescent girls, such as survivors of GBV, women refugees, asylum seekers, or migrants
- A self-starter with proven leadership experience
- Comprehension of and willingness to learn MHPSS programme development
- Solution-oriented self-starter who has the ability to adapt to challenging and changing circumstances
- Good-natured and jovial attitude; easily approachable
- Working knowledge of Excel
- English and Arabic language proficiency
- International Driver's License and ability to drive a manual car
- Experienced in holistic therapy, creative arts, handicrafts, music therapy, art therapy, yoga, dance
- Casework experience
- Experience in project design, monitoring and evaluation and financial processes in relation to MHPSS for vulnerable populations
- Experience working in a refugee camp or post-conflict environment
- Experience working with Syrian populations
- Kurdish language skills in addition to English and Arabic
Please send a cover letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “FFS Manager” in the subject line. Please be sure to mention the date you would be available to start. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.